Museum - Ausstellung - Galerie
CB3 0AQ Cambridge -
+44 (1223) 748100
+44 (1223) 324377
Jim Ede was a curator of the Tate Gallery and arrived in Cambridge in 1956. He and his wife knocked four cottages together to provide space for their art collection. In 1966 he donated the house and collection to the University of Cambridge, of which it is now a part. The house was extended and a gallery added in 1970.
The collection is mostly of early 20th century art and includes works by Joan Miro, Ben Nicholson, Henry Moore, Frank Auerbach and many others. In Jim Ede's words, he wanted to create a "living place where works of art could be enjoyed". The pieces on display are not just paintings and sculpture but also furniture, glass, ceramics and natural objects, designed, again in Ede's words, to reflect a "continuing way of life from these last fifty years". The gallery now has a programme of exhibitions with a focus on contemporary art.
Opening times and access arrangements to the house and gallery are different and details are on the website. The house is more restricted because of its size and layout. The gallery also hosts musical events.