Outros locais de interesse
9200 Dendermonde - Bélgica
Founded in 1259, the beguinage was moved to the actual place in 1288. It was burnt down by a political group called the Geuzen (Beggars) in 1597 and rebuilt at the beginning of the 17th century.
It consists of 61 brick houses built around an inner courtyard. Some of these houses today host a history museum.
The church was destroyed in 1914 during the First World War and was rebuilt in neo-gothic style in 1928 according to the original plans.
The beguinage can be visited all year round from 09:00 a.m. until 08:00 p.m. while the museum is open from April 1st until October 31st from Tuesdays to Sundays from 09:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. and from 01:30 p.m. - 06:00 p.m.
It was listed together with other 12 Flemish beguinages under the UNESCO World Heritage in the year 1998.